Monday, July 2, 2007

Long Weekend

This past weekend was obviously a long one on account of Canada's 140th birthday and it was celebrated in style! Earlier in the week I met up with a friend I had met earlier and he invited me out to a bender at his in-laws place. His father-in-law just happened to be my boss.
On Friday I had a chat with my boss about the job and how I am feeling about it. It is a pretty good opportunity but I am feeling like a glorified shelf stocker. Definitely not something I thought I was signing up for when I read the job description. I have also been thinking about going back to Korea for a pretty amazing (financially) teaching opportunity. I mean if I am simply going to be stocking shelves and making money I might as well be living overseas teaching, which is much more satisfying, and making even more money. While the money of teaching with this particular opportunity is enticing I also realize that I need to start working in a business environment sooner rather than later. But I figure if I am simply going to be stocking shelves and keeping inventory I can't help but think of other opportunities. I just have to work hard at keeping myself motivated because there is no reason why I can't drastically increase sales in my first year and continue to do so.
So my boss and I probably spent about 30 minutes chatting about the job and what the position is likely going to be and I am happy with the result. There will be room for me to plan different events and create some marketing plans for some of the different companies that are run by the same owner as the Coca Cola distributor.
On to more entertaining topics in this post, the cabin. We got up there at about 8:30 and set up our tents and everything. This might seem pretty late but the sun was still shining and the weather was sweet! We were amoung the first to arrive but the band was already set up which was awesome. People started trickling in and the beer started to flow and everyone was having a grand ole time. The sky was a little hazy but that was due to a forest fire that has started at one of the camps that my bro has worked in before. Later on he bumped into a co-worker who was evacuated and lost a bunch of his tools because they could only take what they could carry. The evening was an awesome success HisGod played an amazing set and it was just fun to be in a cottage atmosphere for the weekend. I gotta say I have been to some cottages with amazing lookouts and Yellowknife definitely competes and some. The following day the owner of the cottage pretty much kicked out the majority of the people due to some obnoxious events the previous night. It looked like the whole island was getting evicted. The tribe has spoken but after a few boat loads the crowds looked a little more managable and after the revote people were allowed to stay. Scrabble all afternoon in the sun! I know not the most exciting cottage action ever.
That night I felt so sick and ended up in bed only to be woken up by someone looking for where I had hidden my beers. I knew that if I left them around they would be dranken long before I ever got around to it. After the following conversation...

"Hey man, we're all outta beer and I know you have some stashed"

"Man, I am sleeping. You can't have my beer"

"Dude, I am just gonna take it even if you tell me I can't"

"You know if you do that, its totally not cool"

"Well, its not cool for you to say its not cool and make me feel bad about taking your beer"

"Are you gonna buy me a new 15 pack?"

"Yeah, I'll find a way to get you one"

"Take it"

This was a lose lose situation for me. Chances of ever seeing the 15 pack in my hands, pretty slim. At least now I have something I can hold over him everytime I want a beer. It might even be well worth 30 beers before I am done using it. I was sick as a dog and was not going to be drinking anything but the beer store was closed for the rest of the weekend.

There is plenty more to write about but I will just leave you with this. If you have a chance, go watch Transformers. Quite simply the best movie I have seen in a long while! Do it TODAY!
PS - Happy Birthday Rachel!

No comments: