Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Stampeded

Last week while trying to put the finishing touches on my BBQ plans I mailed a bunch of buddies to see if they would be interested in dropping by. Well it turns out that there were plans for most of them to be in Calgary for the Stampede. Who am I to miss out on an opportunity to party like a rock star?!?! I quickly revised the travel plans to ensure that I could hang out in Calgary for a couple of nights. It was a decision I was happy to make.
I got to Calgary at about 5 after kicking off from work a couple of hours early. Kyle was kind enough to allow me to crash at his place so after figuring out the C-train I was on my way to meet him. Cowboy hats were out in full force. That night was a big of a write off as I was unaware that tickets were required to get into any bar worth being in. So we went out with a couple of Kyle's friends to a Karaoke bar. I did get out to meet up with Josh and have dinner at his restaurant. Overall not what I had anticipated from a Stampede weekend. But the best was yet to come...
Saturday I met up with the boys and we hit the fairgrounds with reckless abandon! First stop was the purchase of a cowboy hat for myself and then I was ripping and roaring to go. I attended my first rodeo and it was actually much more entertaining that I had anticipated. That was the highlight of the day by far mostly because we didn't do much else other than that. I met up with some friend's of friends who also didn't have tickets to any of the bars downtown but they were from Calgary and were planning a night out somewhere. I made the executive decision to join up with them and hopefully meet up with the rest of the crew down at one of the bars. That was a great decision because we walked right into Cowboys even though there was a lineup that would have taken a few hours to get through. We also didn't pay the $50 cover charge. It turns out that one of the guys that was out with us knew a bouncer so we walked right in. Sure it was early, before 7, but we were pumped to be in a hot spot, even if it was only lukewarm when we arrived.
The night lived up to the hype of stampede. It passed me by in a blur and before I knew it I was calling Josh to get a ride to the airport. I made my flight and was lucky to get on as it was quite full. It is also perhaps the worst shape I have ever flown in. At the check-in counter the woman even asked if I was aware of the dress code. Golf shirts and dirty pants simply weren't cutting it. Who would have thought? I woke up almost home and felt fully refreshed and ready for another beer... Sadly, I was out of money :(
The weekend at home was awesome. My BBQ was poorly attended on account of the rain, stampede, and pretty much lack of friends. I was really happy to see the people that did make it out. It was a lot of fun to drive around with my sister and pick up supplies. It might be the last time I shop after drinking... Anyone have any use for about 20 chocolate bars? Apparently I had a craving...
I am just sitting here waiting for morning for a flight back out to Calgary and then from there up to Yellowknife. I am still having mixed feelings about living up there but I am sure things will start to work themselves out and I will adjust. I am off for a nap and then off on the road again. Stay well.

1 comment:

kle said...

those that were there, were happy to be there.
let me know when you arrive, safely.
heart. smell.