Sunday, October 28, 2007

Marathon update.

I haven’t updated in a while not because nothing interesting has happened but because I have been pretty busy doing loads of different things.

Firstly I have been busy down at the firehall. I had to complete my first ride-a-long two weeks ago. Each month POC’s (Paid on Calls) are required to complete a 10 hour ride-a-long. Basically we go into the firehall and work with our platoons. The boys on my shift are all pretty cool. They ripped on me pretty hard because I didn’t have time to get out to Mark’s Work Warehouse to pick up my black boots. I was referred to as retard for about an hour. We drove down to the store and bought a pair. That was my first ride in the Fire Ambulance. I could stop looking in the mirror because it felt pretty surreal to be in a firefighter’s uniform. I am sure that those feelings will pass before too long. All shift I pretty much reviewed what is on each engine. I need to memorize what is in each compartment. We also set up a pump and I learned how to connect everything to draw water from a source to a fire.

The following Wednesday we were back at the abandoned housing. It was snowing pretty hard and the truck had a pretty difficult time getting up the hill but we managed to get it up there on the third or fourth try. Our training consisted of cutting a hole in the kitchen floor with the chainsaw. We also worked on our search and rescue skills. We were supposed to get up on the roof and make some ventilation holes but because the snow had made everything slippery we we’re allowed by the deputy chief. Fire training is a great break in the week. Afterwards we all go out for wings and a few pops. Its fun hanging out with all the guys and being a part of something that is bigger than myself.

Last weekend I had a sit down with both of my bosses. We had a little bit of a brainstorm session about some new marketing directions for the company. I am definitely going to be running a major contest for all of the northern stores of a particular chain. Its going to be a huge task for myself and a great opportunity to build up my resume. I am also going to be working on a few other initiatives that will keep me pretty interested in my job. One thing we discussed was bringing the AASBD, All American Soap Box Derby, up to Yellowknife and creating the Canadian Championships. There is also an air show that our company is title sponsor for. I am going to be running that show… There are lots of new responsibilities that I am pretty excited about. Work is going pretty well.

In other work news I am working pretty hard with a contractor in town that has taken my under his wing and teaching me loads about renovating and contracting work. It’s pretty interesting because each new skill will be useful for me in the future when I purchase my first house and such. It keeps me pretty busy because he is quite busy and so every night I feel like putting some hours in they are there for me. Most weekends I head out and put some time in also. Its not always nice, this morning I was hanging around in a crawl space digging trenches so that we can pump water out of this flooded area. It wasn’t very pretty!

Broomball is starting to get really interesting because I made the “All-Star” team that is representing Yellowknife in the Western Canada Broomball Championships. The event is coming up November 8th to 11th. It should be an awesome experience. I managed to impress the guys I have been playing with so they influenced the coach’s decision quite a bit. I am really pumped just to be on the team. I still have a long way to improve but each game I seem to be picking up a few more skills and get just a little bit more comfortable with the stick. It was funny because when the coach called to tell me that I had made the team my cell phone was about to die… I was trying to hurry up the conversation so that my phone didn’t cut him off mid-sentence or anything like that. I also didn’t want to rush the conversation too much because I was really pumped about the opportunity and wanted to be sure to convey that. I am not sure I will be getting loads of ice time but the chance is there if I play well. So next month my name might very well be in the newspaper yet again. The beauty of a small town is it doesn’t take much to get in the paper. Twice already I have made it in. The first time was just my name in the list of fire fighting volunteers. Last week someone came out to the broomball practice so all the guys were in there. I didn’t even realize it until someone at one of my accounts pointed it out.

The housing situation is awesome. I really enjoy living with my brother. I find that we are getting along really well and Tyler just adds to our entertainment. We sit around and play Madden as often as we can. We all get along really well. The landlords upstairs are pretty decent as well. They leave us to our business and we don’t really see them much.

The snow has likely arrived to stay! It has been consistently below 0 the past week. Some are saying that the snow is not likely not going to last because a warm front will be coming through soon. I am not so confident. Its feeling pretty chilly every morning and I am not a huge fan but I am sure I will adjust soon enough. I have broken out the long johns for about a week now. I am thinking that I will most certainly be investing in a few more pairs. Gotta bundle up to stay warm! I am looking forward to the winter a little bit just because there are a lot of things happening around town. I am looking to make an escape at some point or another though for a vacation. I want to head over to Europe for a snowboarding adventure. If anyone has any ideas of a country to go to shoot them over my way!!!

I am off to clean up my room. Its been messy since we moved in and its getting a little tiresome climbing over clothes to jump into bed every night.

Have a great day!

No comments: