Friday, November 16, 2007

Fire Marshal Bill, Er... Richard

This is taken from an e-mail that I recently sent out:

At long last someone brought a camera out to our Wednesday night practice. We have been using an abandoned staff housing building from one of the old mines in town to practice on. The land has since been reclaimed by the aboriginals and must be returned to the state it was in when it was taken in 1937. All the structures are being taken down since they haven’t been around since ‘37. Before they are demolished though the fire department has a chance to use them for training purposes...

What did we learn that night?
Every window in Yellowknife is either double or triple paned, but chairs can get through any of them, if thrown with enough force.
BBQ throwing off of balconies should be a sport!
Windows, well they were made to be broken.
Brick walls can be broken, so can sledge hammers.
Chainsaws can pretty much get through anything!

Sadly in this photo my face is not overly visible because of the frost on my shield. It is actually me and I am not trying to impersonate anyone! I am cutting through the outside wall of the building extending the window down to the ground.
That was probably one of the most fun practices that I have been to. Most of the older guys were telling us that the training like that happens about once a year. The adrenaline rush had better last!

Firefighting is going really well. The boys are all pretty cool and I am learning new things each week. Our weekend training will be completed next weekend and I we will all be qualified to respond on apparatus to calls. It’s going to be an exciting time on my first call I am sure. We only get called out on our pagers if there is an actual fire; I guess that’s why all the POC’s are sooo quick to respond to those pages. It’s their best chance at some real “action”. Soon the ice is going to be thick enough that we will be able to complete our ice rescue training. That involves donning some seriously thick wet suits and jumping into the lake after cutting a hole in the ice. Should be an icy good time had by all.

No comments: