Friday, November 16, 2007

I have really got to start posting a little bit more often. By the time that I finally get around to it so many things have happened its hard to remember them all… I did get one message that requested more photos so this post will hopefully satisfy those with short attention spans that are paying for the internet by the minute. Step up and pay the extra 30 cents and read Tran.

Biggest news first I guess. Last weekend I played, in limited important game situations, in the Western Canada Broomball Championships. The coach told me that he would rest me so that when situations arose where he needed my special skills I would be ripping and roaring to go. Sadly those situations were few and far in between! So needless to say my ass was nailed to the bench for many of the “game on the line” situations. Luckily there weren’t too many of them. So I did manage to get some ice time throughout the tournament.

Right up until the finals when in the last 6 minutes with the game tied 0-0 I took a penalty after getting railroaded by a couple of elbows. I didn’t even look at the bench on the way over because I knew where I was headed the second that my penalty expired… I retuned right back to my spot on the bench for the remainder of the game. This turned out to be 15 minutes into the SECOND overtime period!!! Our team finally scored to win the Championship… Boy was I ever happy that I didn’t cost the team the tournament and I could laugh about what happened afterwards. With the championship victory my drinking hiatus ended as a celebration was in order. Did we ever celebrate, right up until I was taken home by my buddy’s mom and sister. Lifesavers they are!!!

The tournament banquet was a great party. Sadly I wasn’t named to the all-star team. I thought surely I would have been named best bench warmer or water boy…

Here I am right after collecting my medal. Boy did I ever contribute to that tournament victory! A man's gotta pay his dues right?

The CHAMPS! Our boy Ian was absolutely insane during the tournament. He stopped a breakaway with about two minutes left that would have sent us home with the silver...

If it were real I already would have upgraded my "grill". A nice little momento of the north. I am sure I will collect more than a couple more!

The start of the after party. This part of the evening is clear as day in my mind, it gets a little foggy towards the end of the evening!


Matt should have been holding my eyes open not the other way around. His partying antics lasted til 5 AM. I went til 2 AM, stumbled into a cab and likely yelled "Drive Smithers!"


Listening to the coach give us playing advice that didn't really apply to me sitting on the bench. As the deaf guy I was just smiling and nodding anyways.


Practicing that killer swing. If it had been working a little bit better for me I would have picked up at least a few "sure" goals throughout the tourney. Sadly, it wasn't working and my humble self passed the ball off to the goalie, on the other team!


Look at that killer instinct in action... Grrr...


Sin Bin. My home away from home at the rink. Seriously though, I didn't deserve a penalty, my brother backs me up on that one!


YEE-HAW!!!


That concludes our post on the broomball Western Canada Championship. I am sure that if I continue to improve there will continue to be a spot on the team (bench) for me. Hopefully next year's tournament is in a little bit more of an exciting place. I mean, Yellowknife, its cool and all but I live here!

No comments: